Budapest Business School, Hungary's market leading and largest university, educating some 16 000 students, was established as a result of the Hungarian higher education integration and on 1 January 2000 the three legal predecessors were merged:
Faculty of Commerce, Hospitality and Tourism (FCHT),
Faculty of International Management and Business (FIMB),
Faculty of Finance and Accountancy (FFA).
These legal predecessor institutions have a long history. In 2011 our fourth College (now Faculty), the Zalaegerszeg College of Business Administration was established.
Faculty of Commerce, Hospitality and Tourism (FCHT)
The predecessor of the FCHT was the Academy of Commerce established in 1857. Expanded by the Eastern Academy of Commerce in 1899, this was the first college of commerce in the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, in the Central European region. Experts for commerce and banking were trained at this school. After World War II till 1962 there was a secondary school of commerce operating in the old impressive building in Alkotmány street. By restructuring education it became a Commercial School of Higher Education, and building upon traditions it was given a college status in 1969 by the name of College of Commerce and Catering. The institution finally adopted today's name implying independent tourism training in 1992.
Graduates of the legal predecessor institutions and already of the BBS in the past years have become the most widely recognized and the most sought-after experts in the domestic labour market, several of them are prominent personalities of the Hungarian society and economy.
The milestones of the first decade of the integrated institution are as follows:
In September 2006 eight undergraduate (BA) educational programmes (Human Resources, Business Administration and Management, Commerce and Marketing, Communication and Media Science, International Business Economics, Finance and Accounting, Tourism and Catering, Business Teacher Training) were launched under the 'Bologna system'
In September 2008 the first independent post-graduate (MA) educational programme (Teacher of Economics) was launched, which was followed by two new programmes (Marketing, Tourism Management) in February 2009, and by three new ones (International Relations, Finance, Accounting) in September 2009.
On 28th April, 2010 the Budapest Business School received a Higher Education Quality Award in recognition of its outstanding achievement in quality improvement.
In September 2010 the Business Administration doctoral (PhD) programme of Anglia Ruskin University was started due to the co-operation agreement between Anglia Ruskin University and the Budapest Business School (BBS).
In 2016 BBS received the title of "University of Applied Sciences", in Hungarian: Budapesti Gazdasági Egyetem.
In the academic year 2017-2018 Budapest Business School offers 12 undergraduate programmes, 6 post-graduate programmes, 21 short cycle higher education programmes, 48 post-graduate diploma courses and there is a wide choice of adult educational programmes. 10 programmes including 3 master programmes are lauched in English, German or French as well.